Skip to main content

Black Locust Plant Stand Glue-up

I wanted to post more about these plant stands as they got built but that didn't seem to happen, better late than never though! They've both been sanded and glued up now, and I spent last night cleaning up the squeeze out, puttying gaps and cutting the shelves to fit on the first one. The second still needs all that and I hope to get them both home to finish this weekend.

Black Locust Plant Stand
Black Locust Plant Stand

I original plan was to wedge the stretcher tenons, but after cutting a chamfer on them I decided I liked it better. There's seven of these on each side, and they match the front angle all the way down.

Stretcher Through Tenons
Stretcher Through Tenons

The shelves themselves sit on 3/8" of the side pieces, I'm going to secure them in place with some tabletop fasteners and mortises that I put on the insides of each of the side pieces.

Slatted Shelves
Slatted Shelves

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spalted Maple Valet Glue-up

I found this 5/4 8" board at Farnsworth Lumber a couple months back. They threw it in the solar kiln for me and got it pretty dry so I started using it to make this valet last week. It's a continuous grain box with a drawer below (still working on that). The top is separated so there's a place for a phone. Spalted Maple Valet I was pretty happy with it when I was dry fitting it, but after glue up some slight gaps in the dovetails appeared and it went out of square by about 1/32". Not a huge deal but just annoying. Any sage advice for preventing these sort of problems? The dovetails were super tight before glue. Spalted Maple Valet Spalted Maple Valet

Notching and Tapering Cherry End Table Legs

I notched the legs, and then decided they needed a taper so went back and did that as well. I'm going to have to do a bit of sawdust clean up as there are some gaps here and there, but not bad for my first attempt at this.

Finished Cherry End Tables

I put the last coat of finish on these late last week, got the tops attached and installed the knobs over the weekend. All done!